Dutch Caribbean existed since 10-10-2010 and is formed by the islands of Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba – the so-called BES islands.
Bonaire is the largest island with a population of approximately 19,000 inhabitants.
The island lies in the south of the Caribbean Sea off the coast of Venezuela, besides the islands of Curaçao and Aruba.
The official language on the island is Dutch besides the native language Papiamento. English and Spanish is also spoken widely. The population consists of Bonairians, (European) Dutch, North and South Americans, Europeans and Asians – a very lively and harmonious society.
Kralendijk, the capital, forms the center of Bonaire. Here is a variety of shops, restaurants, bars, supermarkets etc.
The island is known worldwide for its unprecedented underwater world and coral reefs. Scuba divers from all over the world find their way to this protected underwater paradise every year. Not only underwater nature is overwhelming, the island also has surfaced a rich tropical flora and fauna.
Bonaire has a temperate tropical climate, a lot of sun and little rain with an average temperature around 29 degrees Celsius, 365 days a year. A climate that is very pleasant due to the ever-present easterly sea winds. The sea temperature averages 27 degrees Celsius. Not at least to mention that Bonaire is outside the so-called hurricane-belt.
The most important economic sector is tourism and related industries. Besides the before mentioned scuba diving sport, Bonaire is also known to for its fantastic windsurfing conditions and since a few years also for kite-surfers.
Since 10-10-2010 Bonaire is a Public Entity within the Kingdom of The Netherlands and as of January 1st, 2011, the US dollar is the official currency on Bonaire.
Bonaire is easily accessible by airplane in a comfortable time schedule. There are daily direct flights from Europe and North and South America.
Also towards the neighboring islands Curaçao and Aruba are several flights per day.
Bonaire, a right choice to invest
The economic growth of Bonaire is intensive and impressive due to investment programs from the Dutch Government. From 2010 on, the economic growth figure is about 7% annually.
A visible consequence of this growth includes the increase of population in a short time; approximately 5,000 people in five years to its current population of 19,000, a growth up to nearly 20%.
This upward trend is expected to continue until 2025 in which the total population of Bonaire will grow up to approximately 25,000 – 30,000 residents. Impressive but not alarming, space is available on Bonaire; only 6% of Bonaire is built – the other 94% pure nature!
Economic growth has lead to increasing employment in all sectors and attracts people from all over the world to work on Bonaire. There is also a strong increase observed in people who, for example after their retirement, are looking for the peaceful and healthy environment on Bonaire, not at least due to the excellent medical care and safe living environment.
The main advantages to buy property on Bonaire:
- very stable political climate within the Kingdom of The Netherlands,
- favorable tax climate, both private and business,
- rising demand for quality homes in a fast growing economy,
- fast and directly accessible by air,
- healthy and safe living conditions in a tropical climate,
- modern society with a high standard of living,
- friendly population that speaks the international languages
Within the project Sur Salinja we can provide specific advice concerning tax and financial issues related to the acquisition of real estate property, both private and business use.
CompactS, a very well know accountancy firm on Bonaire, can assist you with legal and tax related issues when buying a property on Bonaire
More information you can find on www.compactsbonaire.com